Sunday 8 November 2015

I Quit

Last week, I quit.

Not something I do often and I'm still feeling a bit funny about it.

It had been my New Year's Resolution in 2014 to learn to play the bagpipes. I have been learning for 2 years now. 

Well, I had been until last week.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I play a few musical instruments but this was the hardest I have ever attempted. 

I spent 12 months on the practice chanter before I got unleashed on the pipes. 

I gave it a go but last week I realised I had to give it up.

Quit.

Or indefinitely suspend input of time and energy in this endeavour.

Maybe I'll come back to the pipes one day.

We'll see…


What have I learned?


Reflecting on this experience I have learnt a few things:

1. I can't do everything. Thought I could. Must have been mistaken. My resources of time, commitment, patience, enthusiasm etc are finite.

2. It doesn't feel totally satisfying to quit something. In fact, I was a bit disoriented. I can no longer think of myself as a "student of the bagpipes" - I am now "a former dabbler in the noble pipes".

3. My family is probably celebrating the peace and quiet.

4. It's not that big a deal - it was only the bagpipes.

5. It's okay to quit sometimes. It doesn't make me a loser. In fact, maybe there's a bit of "growth mindset" here for me.

6. There are some positives in giving up - it reduces my stress levels, gives me back some precious time and opens up a few possibilities for the future. I wonder how the family would feel about trumpet lessons?










1 comment:

  1. I loved this! I have just started to learn the cello along with 2 of my kids who have played for years. They suggested I try the piano but I am determined. I know the world would probably be a quieter place if I quit but I will continue on for a while. If and when I have to quit, i'll come back here to help give myself the boost to cross over to "used to play" and feel ok about it.

    Alexia

    ReplyDelete

Any comments you would like to make?